The Battle of North Borneo was a skirmish that took place on June 17, 1943 off the northern coast of Borneo between the Royal Navy and Imperial Japanese Navy. The battle lasted four hours. During the battle, HMS St. James was sunk, while Leander was in sinking condition and had to be scuttled. HMS Foresight, though able to return to Singapore, was declared CTL.
The Battle of North Borneo was the first of about a dozen vicious cruiser actions that were fought in the area over the next nine months.
- HMS Cumberland - County-class heavy cruiser
- HMS Exeter - York-class heavy cruiser
- HMS Enterprise - Emerald-class light cruiser
- HMS Leander - Leander-class light cruiser †
- HMS Southampton - Town-class light cruiser
- HMS Electra - E-class destroyer
- HMS Foresight - F-class destroyer †
- HMS Hotspur - H-class destroyer
- HMS St. James - Battle-class destroyer †
- HMS Agincourt - Battle-class destroyer
- Several cruisers, destroyers, and fighter squadrons